These Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are an easy vegan treat. Made with 6 simple ingredients, these melt-in-the-mouth shortbread cookies are rich and buttery with a chocolate twist on a British classic.
There’s something special about a shortbread cookie. I feel like you automatically look a little bit fancy when you serve up shortbread with a cup of tea to visitors!
There are five key steps to making shortbread – stir together the dry ingredients, rub in the vegan butter, chill the dough, roll it out and then bake. We’re also adding in some chocolate chips – you can use either dark or milk chocolate, whichever you prefer.
The inspiration for these cookies came from the Marks & Spencer Plant Kitchen Dark Chocolate Chip Shortbread Rounds which a friend kindly bought me – they’re very tasty indeed.
Why you’ll love these Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
6 simple ingredients. You’ll likely have all of the ingredients needed on hand in your pantry and fridge – plain flour, icing sugar, salt, vegan butter, chocolate chips and caster sugar.
They’re easy to make. This is a one-bowl recipe with five key steps to keep it as easy as possible with minimal washing up.
Buttery and moreish. These cookies are buttery and delicious with a light, short texture – perfect with a cup of tea. You’ll struggle to have just one though!
Make sure the butter is cold: Use a vegan block butter (not a spreadable margarine) and make sure it is cold before cutting it into cubes and rubbing it into the flour.
Rub the mixture to a fine crumb: Once you’ve added the butter to the flour and sugar, rub it in using your hands. Rub the mixture together between your hands until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Don’t skip the chilling time: Make sure to chill the dough for a full 45 minutes before rolling it out. Don’t skip this step otherwise your cookies could end up spreading on the baking tray and will lose some of their ‘short’ texture.
Bake until very lightly coloured: Don’t over bake the cookies otherwise they could end up dry rather than buttery. You’re aiming for them to still be pale but just starting to get a little bit of colour; approximately 13 minutes.
Loved these Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies? Here are some more delicious vegan sweet treats to try
This trio layered Biscoff Billionaire’s Shortbread is a real treat! Buttery vegan shortbread is topped with silky smooth cinnamon-infused Biscoff spread and a layer of glossy dark chocolate.
If you’re looking for something a little bit lighter, try these Healthy Millionaire’s Shortbread. They feature a gluten free oat biscuit base, gooey date caramel centre and a creamy chocolate topping. Filling, satisfying and wholesome!
These Valentine’s Jammie Biscuits are easy to make and look very cute indeed! Buttery vegan shortbread-style biscuits sandwich a layer of tangy raspberry jam. With a sweet heart shape cut out in the top biscuit, they make the perfect gift for that special someone.
These Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies are deliciously sweet with creamy white chocolate chunks and tangy dried cranberries. They’ve got a thick, soft and chewy centre with a lightly crisp exterior. They’re the perfect treat for the holiday season!
I hope you LOVE this recipe for Chocolate Chip Shortbread! Share this recipe with someone you think will enjoy it and don’t forget to tag @aveganvisit on social media when you try out the recipe – I absolutely love seeing your re-creations! Enjoy 🙂 x
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below – this provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. If you want more delicious vegan recipes be sure to subscribe to the A Vegan Visit newsletter and join the AVV community on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter and Tiktok.
The Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookie Recipe:
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies
- 175 g plain flour
- 50 g icing sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 150 g vegan block butter (cold and cut into cubes*)
- 75 g 70% dark chocolate chips
- 25 g caster sugar (for dusting)
- In a bowl stir together the flour, icing sugar and salt.175 g plain flour, 50 g icing sugar, 1/2 tsp salt
- Rub the cold butter into the flour mixture until it is combined and no large chunks of butter remain.150 g vegan block butter
- Stir in the chocolate chips.75 g 70% dark chocolate chips
- Bring the mixture together into a ball, flatten slightly and cover in a reusable wrap. The mixture should come together when squeezed between your fingers. If for any reason it does not then add 1/2 tsp of cold water, mix in and then try again to bring the mix together.
- Place the cookie dough in the fridge for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C conventional / 375°F / gas mark 5).
- Lightly flour a smooth surface and a rolling pin. Roll the cookie dough out to 1cm thick and cut out 12 x 6cm (2.5”) rounds.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking tray and sprinkle the tops with caster sugar.25 g caster sugar
- Bake the shortbread cookies for 13-15 minutes until they are just starting to colour. Remove the baking trays from the oven and set them aside. Leave the cookies on the trays for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring them to a cooling rack to finish cooling.