Pre-warning, these vegan pizza pinwheels are ADDICTIVE! With punchy Mexican flavours, these naughty but nice pinwheels make a great snack or party food and are just as delicious cold as they are warm.
This creation was a happy accident in the search for a lunchbox snack for the other half but they’re so tasty it’d be a crime not to release the recipe! They’ve got layers of tomato sauce, dairy free cheese, fajita spiced veggies and spicy diced jalapeños rolled up in flaky puff pastry.
They’re the type of snack you can’t stop eating and taste just as delicious cold as they do warm, making them a great party or lunchbox treat.
What you’ll need to make these Vegan Mexican Pizza Pinwheels
These are the ingredients you will need:
Fresh items: A red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, white onion and baby mushrooms.
Refrigerated items: Dairy free cheese of choice and some ready rolled vegan puff pastry.
Pantry items: Fajita spice mix, oil for frying, tomato puree, tomato ketchup and jalapeños.
Tips for making these Vegan Mexican Pizza Pinwheels
To make it easier to roll up the pinwheels:
Cut your veggies up super small.
Leave the fried veggie mix to cool completely before spreading it on top of the pastry.
You only need a thin layer of each ingredient. Don’t overfill otherwise it’ll make the pastry harder to roll up and messy to eat!
Once the pastry has been rolled up, chill it in the freezer for 10 minutes to help firm it up before cutting it into slices and cooking.
Enjoying: These pinwheels taste great whether warm or cold, just make sure to leave them to cool for at least 10 minutes after they come out of the oven so that they firm up (making them easier to eat).
Storing: Ideally store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or wrapped in tin foil.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission off of items you purchase via one of these links, at no additional cost to you. Please read the policy page for more information.
More delicious vegan snacks to try
I hope you LOVE these Vegan Mexican Pizza Pinwheels! If you try them be sure to leave a comment and rating below and tag @aveganvisit on social media – I love to see your re-creations! Enjoy 🙂 x
The Mexican Pizza Pinwheel Recipe:
Vegan Mexican Pizza Pinwheels
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ red pepper (very finely diced)
- ½ green pepper (very finely diced)
- ½ white onion (very finely diced)
- 3 baby mushrooms (very finely diced)
- 2 tbsp fajita spice mix
- 320 g pack of ready rolled vegan puff pastry*
- 35 g tomato puree
- 50 g tomato ketchup
- 100 g vegan cheese
- 25 g jalapeños (finely diced)
- Fry the peppers, onion and mushrooms in the fajita spice and oil for 5 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature.1 tbsp oil, 1/2 red pepper, 1/2 green pepper, 1/2 white onion, 3 baby mushrooms, 2 tbsp fajita spice mix
- Remove the ready rolled puff pastry from the fridge 10 minutes before you want to use it.320 g pack of ready rolled vegan puff pastry*
- Unroll the puff pastry.
- Smooth over a thin layer of tomato puree and ketchup, leaving a gap of approximately 1.5cm around all edges.35 g tomato puree, 50 g tomato ketchup
- Sprinkle with cheese.100 g vegan cheese
- Add the cold fajita veg that you prepared earlier, evenly spreading it over the pastry.
- Sprinkle over the diced jalapeños.25 g jalapeños
- Starting from one of the short edges, roll the pastry up as tightly as you can without the filling squidging out the sides.
- Place the rolled up pastry in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm it up, this will make it easier to cut into rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6) and line a large oven tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Using a very sharp knife, trim off and discard the excess pastry at either end and then slice the remaining filled pastry into 10 rounds.
- Place the rounds on the baking tray and bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Set aside for 10 minutes before serving. Can be enjoyed warm or cold.