These Rhubarb Crumble Cupcakes have a fluffy vanilla sponge filled with dairy free custard and are topped with whipped vanilla buttercream, a drizzle of tangy rhubarb compote and a sprinkling of sweet and crunchy oat crumble. Scrumptious and totally vegan!
I’m a big fan of a dessert-style cupcake a la Lola’s or Hummingbird Bakery, as are the lads at my husband’s work who are my chief cake taste testers. Rhubarb is one of my absolute favourite dessert fillings – as a child I used to eat it raw, fresh from the garden, dipped in sugar! A classic rhubarb crumble with custard is such a popular dessert here in England and I just knew it would make a cracking cupcake.
I’m so excited for you to try them, if you love rhubarb I’m confident you’ll love these and they make such a lovely gift for a friend or family member… if they make it out of the house without being eaten first!
These Rhubarb Crumble Cupcakes taste absolutely dreamy! They’re:
Light and fluffy
With a delicately-flavoured vanilla sponge
A creamy custard centre
A silky smooth buttercream topped with a drizzle of tangy rhubarb compote
All topped off with a sprinkling of sweet and crunchy oat crumble
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
Rhubarb Crumble and Custard Cupcakes (Vegan)
For the cupcakes:
- 75 g coconut oil (melted)
- 200 g dairy free milk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g self raising flour
- 110 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
For the rhubarb compote:
- 150 g fresh rhubarb (sliced)
- 50 g sugar (granulated or caster)
For the crumble topping:
- 40 g plain flour
- 40 g oats
- 25 g coconut oil (melted)
- 20 g soft light brown sugar
For the buttercream:
- 140 g dairy free butter (the block kind, not spreadable (*see note))
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp dairy free milk
- 150 g dairy free custard
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6) and line a cupcake tin with 9 large cupcake cases.
- Melt the coconut oil and set it aside to cool.75 g coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl add the dairy free milk and vanilla.200 g dairy free milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the caster sugar, flour and baking powder.200 g self raising flour, 110 g caster sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Add the coconut oil.
- Mix briefly with a whisk to combine. Don’t over-mix as this can affect the texture of the cake, just whisk enough to bring the mixture together.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, so that the cases are around 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a knife/skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
Make the rhubarb compote:
- Add the rhubarb and sugar to a small saucepan and simmer until the rhubarb has stewed and broken down, and the mixture is thick. This should take approximately 10-15 minutes.150 g fresh rhubarb, 50 g sugar
- Set the mixture aside to cool.
- Blend until smooth.
Make the crumble topping:
- Once the cupcakes have finished baking, keep the oven on at 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6). Don’t attempt to cook the crumble at the same time as the cupcakes because the oven door should stay closed during cake baking.
- Add all of the crumble ingredients to a bowl and mix together until combined.40 g plain flour, 40 g oats, 25 g coconut oil, 20 g soft light brown sugar
- Transfer the mixture to a lined baking tray and bake for around 12 minutes until golden, stirring once.
- Leave to cool.
Make the buttercream:
- Add the block butter, icing sugar, vanilla and dairy free milk to a mixing bowl with the balloon whisk attachment.140 g dairy free butter, 400 g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp dairy free milk
- Mix for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bowl as necessary.
Decorate your cupcakes:
- Cut out the centre of each cupcake to leave a fillable core. Keep the ‘lid’ section of the core you have removed. See the recipe video for an example.
- Fill each core with dairy free custard and place the lid back on to seal it.150 g dairy free custard
- Pipe buttercream on top.
- Drizzle the rhubarb compote over the top. To make it neat use a piping bag and nozzle.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the cupcake on serving.