These scrumptious Summer Berry Crumble Bars have an oaty flapjack-style base, a jammy summer fruit layer made with fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, and are topped off with a pecan and oat crumble.
The epitome of British summertime, these bars can be enjoyed as they are with a cup of tea or smothered in hot dairy free custard as a delicious dessert.
They’re easy to make and are packed with healthy, wholesome, unrefined ingredients such as fibre-rich oats, fresh berries, coconut oil, maple syrup and pecans. They’re vegan, refined sugar free, contain only healthy fats, and can be made free from gluten and wheat. These Summer Berry Crumble Bars are a guilt free treat that doesn’t skimp on taste!
These summer berry crumble bars are:
Gluten and wheat free
And they’re absolutely delicious!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
Summer Berry Crumble Bars
- 240 g fresh strawberries (hulled and diced)
- 240 g fresh blueberries
- 240 g fresh raspberries
- 45 g cornflour
- 60 g maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Flapjack and crumble layers:
- 250 g porridge oats (gluten free)
- 90 g oat flour (gluten free)
- 115 g coconut sugar
- 115 g coconut oil (melted)
- 100 g maple syrup
- 75 g pecans (roughly chopped)
- Add the berries to a saucepan and stir in the cornflour, followed by the maple syrup and lemon juice.240 g fresh strawberries, 240 g fresh blueberries, 240 g fresh raspberries, 45 g cornflour, 60 g maple syrup, 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Place the saucepan over a medium heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the mixture is nice and thick (the consistency of jam). Stir the mixture regularly whilst it is cooking so that it doesn’t burn.
Flapjack and crumble layers:
- Whilst the berries are cooking, preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C conventional / 375°F / gas mark 5) and line a 20cm (8”) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together the oats, oat flour and coconut sugar.250 g porridge oats, 90 g oat flour, 115 g coconut sugar
- Stir in the melted coconut oil and maple syrup until combined.115 g coconut oil, 100 g maple syrup
- Separate off 1/4 of the mixture and stir the pecans into this 1/4 batch. Reserve this for the crumble topping.75 g pecans
- Press the remaining 3/4 of the mixture firmly into the lined baking tin to form a flapjack-style base. Use something with a flat base such as a mug to press the flapjack layer down firmly to flatten it out and compact the mixture.
- Once the fruity mixture has reached a thick and jammy consistency, pour it over on top of the flapjack base.
- Sprinkle over the crumble and pecan topping.
- Bake for 40 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool completely before slicing (ideally at least 4 hours in the fridge).
- Serve the slices as they are or with hot dairy free custard. Yum!