This vegan Tikka Masala is mild enough to suit a range of tastes with a tangy, tomato sauce, hearty, filling sweet potato and tofu for a hit of protein.
I was more or less brought up on curry. That or beans on toast. Sometimes even curry on toast… (if you haven’t tried that before I can highly recommend it).
When I first met my husband I was horrified that he’d never even tried curry or pizza! His comfort zone fell squarely in the middle of a plate of pie, chips and peas.
Roll forward a few years and curry with all the sides is now up there in his top 3 meals. I employed patience and perseverance to bring him over to a more worldly way of eating and have been spurred on by my success – he’ll be vegan and eating coconut before he even knows what’s happening. I’ve got alllll the time in the world.
This Sweet Potato & Tofu Tikka Masala is a regular in our house. I love the tangy, tomato sauce and the sweet potato adds a warming heartiness to the dish. The tofu provides a decent protein boost and soaks up all of the delicious tikka flavours.
From start to finish this dish takes just 55 minutes and much of that time the saucepan will be merrily simmering away on the hob, no input from you needed, so you’re free to help the kids with their homework/take the dog for a walk/drink wine.
Not only is this vegan Tikka Masala super easy to make, it’s packed full of flavour. It’s mild enough to suit a range of tastes and is easy to spice up if you prefer it with a bit more punch. As with all curry it keeps well and tastes even better the next day. Serve it with a garlic naan, basmati rice and a sprinkling of fresh coriander.
This delicious Sweet Potato and Tofu Tikka Masala is:
Packed full of warming spices
With filling sweet potato
Protein-rich tofu that soaks up all of those gorgeous flavours
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Sweet Potato & Tofu Tikka Masala
For the tikka paste:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger (finely diced)
- 2 hot chillies (finely chopped (bird’s eye are fab))
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp cumin (dried and ground)
- 1 tbsp coriander (dried and ground)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fenugreek
- ½ tsp lime juice
For the curry:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 200 g onion (diced)
- 600 g sweet potato (peeled and cubed (*see note))
- 150 g red pepper (diced)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (fron a tin)
- 30 g coconut sugar (substitute: any sugar)
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 500 g firm tofu (cut into cubes)
- 150 ml coconut cream (substitute: any dairy free cream)
- garlic naan
- fresh coriander
- a swirl of dairy free cream
- Blend all of the tikka paste ingredients together.2 tbsp coconut oil, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp fresh ginger, 2 hot chillies, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 2 tbsp garam masala, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp coriander, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp fenugreek, 1/2 tsp lime juice
- In a large pan, fry the onions and the full batch of tikka paste in the coconut oil for 5 minutes over a medium heat.1 tbsp coconut oil, 200 g onion
- Add the sweet potato, red pepper, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, sugar and stock and simmer for 25 minutes.600 g sweet potato, 150 g red pepper, 1 tbsp tomato puree, 400 g chopped tomatoes, 30 g coconut sugar, 300 ml vegetable stock
- Add the tofu and cream. Stir to combine and then simmer gently for a further 15 mins.500 g firm tofu, 150 ml coconut cream
- Serve with a garlic naan bread, a sprinkle of fresh coriander and a swirl of cream.