Vegan Mac N Cheese made the Swiss way with macaroni and bite-size potatoes in a creamy, cheesy sauce, topped with crispy fried bacon and onions, and served with a side of apple sauce.
After a short but very enjoyable visit to Geneva (which you can read about here) I felt inspired to learn more about Swiss cuisine and came across a dish called Älplermagronen.
Originating in the Swiss Alps, Älplermagronen is a dish of macaroni and bite-size potatoes in a creamy, cheesy sauce, topped with crispy bacon and onions, and served with a side of apple sauce. And let me tell you – it is banging!
In this vegan version of the Swiss classic, the macaroni and potatoes are cooked in a mixture of dairy free cream and vegetable stock for a short while until they’ve absorbed the liquid. Stir in some dairy free cheese and top with a delicious mixture of crispy fried veggie bacon, onions, garlic and thyme along with yet more cheese, and then grill into melted perfection.
The Swiss certainly know how to do Mac N Cheese! This dish is incredibly easy to make; taking less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Serve it with a side of easy homemade apple sauce, as is traditional in Switzerland , and you’ve got yourself a easy, weeknight comfort-feast.
Vegan Mac N Cheese but not as you know it! This Swiss classic is:
With a crispy bacon, onion, garlic and thyme topping
A side of sweet, tangy apple sauce. Mmm mmm!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it, I love seeing your re-creations @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Swiss Mac N Cheese with a Crispy ‘Bacon’ Topping
For the topping:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 200 g onion (diced (approx 2 onions))
- 100 g vegan bacon
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (chopped)
For the mac:
- 400 g waxy, non-floury potatoes (*see note, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces)
- 200 g rice macaroni (substitute: regular macaroni)
- 200 g dairy free cheese (grated)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml dairy free cream
For the apple sauce:
- 500 g cooking apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 55 g sugar
To make the apple sauce:
- Add the apple slices and sugar to a saucepan, cover and cook for around 15 minutes until they are a sauce consistency. Stir occasionally during cooking.500 g cooking apples, 55 g sugar
- Whilst your apple sauce is on the hob, make the rest of the dish.
- Set the sauce aside to cool once it is ready.
To make the topping:
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and fry the onions, veggie bacon, garlic and thyme over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until everything is cooked through and crispy around the edges.1 tbsp oil, 200 g onion, 100 g vegan bacon, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Remove the mixture from the frying pan and set it aside.
To make the mac:
- Once you have removed the bacon and onion mixture, use the same frying pan to make your mac.
- Add the stock and cream and bring it to the boil.500 ml vegetable stock, 250 ml dairy free cream
- Add the potato chunks and macaroni carefully to the pan.400 g waxy, non-floury potatoes, 200 g rice macaroni
- Bring it back to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add 1/2 of the grated cheese and stir it in.200 g dairy free cheese
- Add the macaroni and potato mixture to an oven proof serving dish. Sprinkle over the bacon and onion mixture, along with the remaining cheese. Grill for 5 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Serve with a side of your homemade apple sauce.