An easy weeknight or dinner party vegan stir fry that will fast become one of your favourites; this vegan Lomo Saltado is packed full of fresh veggies, has an addictively delicious sauce and oh, did I mention? It’s served with the most perfect crispy-on-the-outside-fluffy-on-the-inside chips.
Yes you read that right.
CHIP STIR FRY.
Inspired by a recent trip to Peru, on which we sampled some of the most delicious food we have ever had the privilege to taste. Lomo Saltado is a Peruvian Chifa dish which combines traditional Peruvian and Chinese cuisines and is, quite frankly, EPIC.
Boy are you going to love this one!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Peruvian Lomo Saltado
- 3 large white potatoes (approx 750g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 fresh chilli (finely chopped)
- 1 white onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 red pepper (sliced)
- 100 g tenderstem broccoli (cut into bitesize pieces)
- 4 mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari (gluten free)
- 100 ml vegetable stock
- ½ tsp marmite (*see note)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander (chopped)
To make the perfect oven chips:
- Pre-heat the oven to 210°C fan (230°C conventional / 450°F / gas mark 8).
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into chips, approx 1 cm thick.3 large white potatoes
- Bring a big pan of water to the boil, add in the chips and simmer for around 7 minutes.
- Drain the water from the pan and give it a gentle shake to roughen up the edges of the chips a little (shake gently!).
- Pop a large tray in the oven with 2 tbsp coconut oil for a minute to heat the oil.2 tbsp coconut oil
- Carefully transfer the part-cooked chips onto the tray (watch out for spitting oil) and oven cook for 30 minutes until the edges are crispy and golden, turning the chips once half way through.
To make the stir fry:
- When the chips are around 15 minutes away from being ready, start making the stir fry by heating a large wok with 1 tbsp coconut oil.1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, pepper, mushrooms, broccoli and chilli and stir fry for 5 minutes on a high heat (**see note).1 garlic clove, 1 white onion, 1 red pepper, 100 g tenderstem broccoli, 4 mushrooms, 1 fresh chilli
- Add the cherry tomatoes, vinegar, soy sauce, stock and marmite and stir together. Season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for a further 3 minutes.6 cherry tomatoes, 3 tbsp white wine vinegar, 3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari, 100 ml vegetable stock, 1/2 tsp marmite, salt and pepper
- Sprinkle over the cornflour, stir in and cook for 2 minutes.1 tsp cornflour
- Take the stir fry off of the heat and let it stand for 2 minutes to thicken up whilst you dish up your beautiful chips (***see note). Sprinkle over some fresh chopped coriander on serving.2 tbsp fresh coriander