These pretty raspberry trifle cupcakes have a soft and fluffy vegan vanilla sponge with a creamy custard centre, silky smooth vanilla buttercream frosting, a drizzle of raspberry jam and topped off with a fresh raspberry.
In my pre-vegan days, a dessert-style cupcake was one of my favourite things to bake… and colleagues at work were rather happy with my obsession!
On a wondrous visit to Covent Garden (which you can read about here) I happened across the infamous Lola’s and much to my delight they had a range of vegan cupcakes; all of which were delicious. From sweet strawberry to chocolate mudcake, pistachio, lemon-raspberry and passion fruit-coconut yummmmmm.
Lola’s Cupcakes were just so incredibly delicious that I HAD to make a creation of my own.
My Raspberry Trifle Cupcakes, complete with a raspberry jam striped buttercream topping and a creamy custard centre. That’s my idea of heaven… how about you?
These little beauties are as pretty as a picture and taste just as good! They’re
Light and fluffy
With a delicately-flavoured vanilla sponge
A creamy custard centre
A silky smooth buttercream topping drizzled with raspberry jam
All topped off with a fresh raspberry
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Raspberry Trifle Cupcakes (Vegan)
For the cupcakes:
- 75 g coconut oil (melted)
- 200 ml dairy free milk (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g self raising flour
- 110 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
For the buttercream:
- 140 g dairy free butter (the block kind, not spreadable (*see notes))
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp dairy free milk
- 150 g dairy free custard
- 150 g raspberry jam (seedless)
- 9 raspberries (fresh)
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6) and line a cupcake tin with 9 large cupcake cases.
- Melt the coconut oil and set it aside to cool.75 g coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl add the dairy free milk and vanilla.200 ml dairy free milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the caster sugar, flour and baking powder.200 g self raising flour, 110 g caster sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Add the coconut oil.
- Mix briefly with a whisk to combine. Don’t over-mix as this can affect the texture of the cake, just whisk enough to bring the mixture together.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, so that the cases are around 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a knife/skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
Make the buttercream:
- Add the block butter, icing sugar, vanilla and dairy free milk to a mixing bowl with the balloon whisk attachment.140 g dairy free butter, 400 g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp dairy free milk
- Mix for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bowl as necessary.
Decorate your cupcakes:
- Cut out the centre of each cupcake to leave a fillable core. Keep the ‘lid’ section of the core you have removed. See the recipe video for an example.
- Fill each core with dairy free custard and place the lid back on to seal it.150 g dairy free custard
- Pipe buttercream on top.
- Warm the raspberry jam slightly so that it pipeable consistency. Pipe/drizzle it over the top of the buttercream using a narrow piping nozzle and top each cupcake with a fresh raspberry.150 g raspberry jam, 9 raspberries