These vegan Banoffee Pie Cupcakes feature a fluffy banana sponge filled with an easy homemade caramel sauce, topped with whipped vanilla buttercream, a drizzle of caramel, a sprinkling of grated dark chocolate and decorated with banana chips. These Banoffee Pie Cupcakes are the ultimate dessert cupcake – decadent, moreish and indulgent.
Banoffee Pie is a family favourite and being such a fan of a dessert-style cupcake a la Lola’s or Hummingbird Bakery, I just had to create a vegan Banoffee Pie Cupcake. This one does not disappoint! The caramel sauce is divine – creamy, sweet, and just how I remember; you really wouldn’t know it was completely dairy free. Combine that with the fluffy banana cupcakes, made with brown sugar for that caramelly flavour, light and airy whipped vanilla buttercream and a sprinkling of dark chocolate and I’m in dessert heaven. Absolutely scrumptious and I’m so excited for you to try them!
These vegan Banoffee Pie Cupcakes are absolutely dreamy! They’re
With a fluffy banana sponge
Silky smooth whipped buttercream
A caramel sauce centre and drizzle to die for!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Banoffee Pie Cupcakes With A Caramel Centre (Vegan)
To make the cupcakes:
- 75 g coconut oil (melted, then cooled to room temperature)
- 150 g dairy free milk (at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g mashed banana
- 100 g soft light brown sugar
- 200 g self raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
To make the caramel:
- 60 g soft light brown sugar
- 260 g dairy free cream (*see note)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
To make the buttercream:
- 140 g dairy free butter (the block kind, not spreadable (*see note))
- 400 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp dairy free milk
- ½ banana (finely diced)
- dairy free dark chocolate (grated)
- dried banana chips
Make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6) and line a cupcake tin with 9 large cupcake cases.
- Melt the coconut oil and set it aside to cool to room temperature.75 g coconut oil
- In a large mixing bowl add the dairy free milk, vanilla, mashed banana and melted coconut oil. Stir to combine.150 g dairy free milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 100 g mashed banana
- Add the brown sugar, flour and baking powder.100 g soft light brown sugar, 200 g self raising flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Mix briefly with a whisk to combine. Don’t over-mix as this can affect the texture of the cake, just whisk enough to bring the mixture together.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases, so that the cases are around 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a knife/skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean.
To make the caramel sauce:
- Add the brown sugar and a dash of the cream to a heavy bottomed saucepan (just enough cream to stir the sugar into). Bring the mixture to the boil and boil for 2 minutes.60 g soft light brown sugar
- Add the rest of the cream, stir in and boil for 15 minutes until it has thickened and is a good consistency for drizzling. Set it aside to cool.260 g dairy free cream, 1 pinch salt
To make the buttercream:
- Add the block butter, icing sugar, vanilla and dairy free milk to a mixing bowl with the balloon whisk attachment.140 g dairy free butter, 400 g icing sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp dairy free milk
- Mix for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. Scrape down the bowl as necessary.
Decorate your cupcakes:
- Cut out the centre of each cupcake to leave a fillable core. Keep the ‘lid’ section of the core you have removed. See the recipe video for an example.
- Add 1/2 a diced banana to a small bowl and pour over some of the cooled caramel sauce (around 1/2). Stir together.1/2 banana
- Fill each core with the banana and caramel sauce filling and place the lid back on to seal it.
- Pipe buttercream on top.
- Drizzle the remaining caramel sauce over the top. To make it neat use a piping bag and nozzle.
- Sprinkle grated dark chocolate over the top and add a dried banana chip for decoration.dairy free dark chocolate, dried banana chips