This hearty and wholesome Vegan Creamy Chicken Soup recipe is protein-rich, packed full of flavour and topped with the most deliciously crispy garlic croutons. Discover the secret to achieving a thick and creamy vegan soup and how to replicate that chicken soup flavour with the power of herbs and spices.
This creamy vegan chicken and vegetable soup is hearty and wholesome, with vegan chicken pieces and farmhouse vegetables in a thick and creamy base that is full of flavour. Instead of chicken broth, this soup uses the power of herbs and spices to replicate the chicken flavour so you can enjoy a cruelty-free version of this British classic. It’s also topped with the most delicious garlic croutons; it’s a perfect meal for the colder months!
Though it might seem complicated, making a creamy vegan soup that replicates the flavours of a traditional chicken soup is actually quite straightforward. Today I’m walking you through the process from start to finish, including success tips to reveal the best vegan substitutes for heavy cream, the secret ingredient to add that chicken flavour and how to ensure your vegan soup is thick and creamy.
- The written recipe
- The video recipe
- Why you’ll love this recipe
- Step by step instructions
- Recipe tips and FAQs
- Other incredible recipes like this one
Why you’ll love this Vegan Creamy Chicken Soup
Hearty and wholesome. With plant-based chicken for protein and a range of farmhouse veggies, this vegan chicken soup will satisfy those cravings for a nutritious meal and keep you full. It’s like a vegan chicken pot pie soup!
Thick and creamy. Yes, it is possible to create a thick and creamy vegan soup! No dairy is needed here. We use vegan cream and a bit of flour in this simple recipe to create the perfect, comforting base for this hearty soup.
Packed with flavour. Using a combination of herbs and spices, we’ve created a vegan chicken soup recipe that is packed with flavour. Combine that with onions, garlic, carrots, potatoes and fresh herbs for a deliciously flavoursome soup – you won’t miss the chicken.
Those crunchy garlic croutons are to die for! They’re such a yummy addition (don’t skip them!) and you can make them whilst the soup cooks.
How to make this Vegan Chicken Soup Recipe
The Veggies. You’ll want your farmhouse classics for this vegan chicken pot pie soup – onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes and peas. Feel free to mix it up if you’ve got other veggies in the fridge – sweet potatoes, red pepper and squash or pumpkin would also work well.
The herbs and spices. The most important ingredient is the vegan chicken seasoning, which is a combination of herbs and spices found in the spice section of the supermarket. It’s a great way to replicate the flavour of chicken. We also add nutmeg, turmeric, pepper, mace, vegetable stock, fresh thyme and fresh parsley.
The ‘chicken’. You can use your ready-to-cook vegan chicken of choice. For our recipe, we used This Isn’t Chicken Plant Based Pieces, but you can use any similar vegan chicken substitute.
The cream. Soya cream works well in this recipe because it has a relatively neutral flavour and thick texture. Two brands that we have tried in this recipe are Alpro Soya Single Cream and Elmlea Plant Double Cream, which is made with lentil protein. Alternatively, you can use full-fat coconut cream or oat cream, although these may add a subtle flavour of coconut or oat to the soup.
The other ingredients. Lastly, you’ll need a little plain flour and some oil, along with bread and garlic salt to make those yummy croutons.
Make sure to head to the recipe card below for the full recipe and instructions!
Here is a summary of the easy steps to make this vegan chicken soup:
For the first step, measure out your ingredients and cut your vegetables into small pieces. Make up your vegetable stock using 2 stock cubes and 1 litre of hot water.
Pick a large pot or casserole dish (like this one) and fry the onion and garlic in a little coconut oil or olive oil for 1 minute. The next step is to add the diced carrot, potato and plain flour. Stir everything together and fry for another 2 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock, vegan chicken, seasoning and spices to the saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes over a low-medium heat.
Turn the heat down to a very low simmer, add the peas, cream, thyme and parsley and cook for a further 10 minutes until hot through.
Whilst the soup is cooking, make your croutons. Fry the bread cubes in garlic oil and garlic salt until golden.
Check your soup for seasoning, add salt and black pepper if needed, and then serve garnished with fresh thyme, a swirl of dairy-free cream and a generous handful of garlic croutons.
Coat the vegetables in flour to thicken the soup. Flour acts as a natural vegan thickener for soups. Sprinkle the vegetables in plain flour and stir to coat before frying for a couple of minutes. When the liquid from the stock is added, this flour will help to thicken it as the soup is cooked.
Chicken seasoning is the key. We use the Tesco Chicken Seasoning, which is labelled vegan and has an excellent flavour. It’s a clever blend of smoked paprika, onion, tomato, pepper, garlic, rosemary and sage. The other large supermarkets in the UK also do their own versions.
Pick a neutral flavour vegan cream. There are many on the market; our top recommendation is soya cream for this recipe, although if you’re in the UK the Elmlea lentil cream is the perfect substitute because it also has a very neutral flavour. Coconut cream and oat cream would both work well but they do carry a more distinct flavour, which could carry over into the soup.
Simmer GENTLY once the cream has been added. It’s important not to let the soup boil once the cream has been added because this can impair the flavour and texture of the ingredients.
Serving and storage. Serve this delicious soup with those yummy crunchy garlic croutons (arguably the best part!) and a hunk of crusty bread slathered in vegan butter. If you’ve got leftovers, fully cool the soup and then store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Reheat the soup fully on the hob before serving.
How to make creamy soups without adding dairy?
You can easily make creamy soups without adding dairy by using a vegan cream. Soya cream is a good option for soup because it has a neutral flavour, and full-fat coconut cream (from a tin) is excellent for creamy roasted vegetable or Asian-inspired soups with a curried flavour.
For this Vegan Creamy Chicken Soup recipe, we’d recommend soya cream (such as Alpro Single Soya Cream) or another neutral-flavoured vegan cream (such as Elmlea Plant Double Cream).
What is a vegan thickener for soups?
Flour serves as an excellent vegan thickener for soups. Add 3 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour to sautéed vegetables before introducing stock. If you’ve already added liquid to your soup, create a paste with 2 tbsp each of cornflour and water, stir it into your soup and simmer until thickened.
What’s a vegan substitute for heavy cream?
For a vegan substitute for heavy cream (or double cream), try soya cream or coconut cream (the thick part of a tin of coconut milk). Both offer a rich, velvety texture akin to heavy cream. Note that coconut milk adds a subtle coconut flavour, so choose accordingly for your dish.
Can a vegan have chicken broth?
No, a vegan cannot have chicken broth as this contains animal products. Opt for vegetable broth (stock) instead and check the packet for the ‘vegan’ icon. Using vegetable broth/stock along with vegan chicken seasoning, as we do in this recipe, creates a flavoursome vegan chicken broth/chicken stock.
Can I make this soup in a slow cooker or instant pot?
Whilst we haven’t tested it, it should work. Cook the vegetables, vegan chicken, stock, herbs and spices on medium for around 4-6 hours until the vegetables are tender and the ‘chicken’ is hot through. Add the cream, peas and fresh herbs around 1 hour before serving and allow it to heat through before serving.
What variations can I make to this soup?
The great thing about this soup is you can vary the vegetables to suit whatever you have in your fridge; why not try sweet potato and red pepper instead of white potatoes and carrots? Soy curls or chunks could take the place of vegan chicken pieces and you could try adding a handful of brown rice at the same time as the stock to make this soup extra filling. A sprinkling of nutritional yeast on serving is a great addition to add a salty, cheesy flavour. There are many different ways to vary this delicious meal.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission off of items you purchase via one of these links, at no additional cost to you. Please read the policy page for more information.
Loved this Vegan Creamy Chicken Soup? Here are some more delicious vegan homemade soups and creamy soup recipes to try
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup – oven-roasted sweet red peppers, creamy butternut squash and caramelised red onions blended together with spicy chilli sauce and fresh lime juice.
- Farmhouse Vegetable Soup – this easy soup is packed full of veggies for a nourishing and warming dinner. Colourful and hearty, just like your Grandma used to make!
- Red Lentil, Apricot and Chilli Soup – a no-faff soup! Chuck it all in the slow cooker and come back later for a wholesome, flavour-packed dinner with filling red lentils, tingly crushed chilli and a hint of natural sweetness from diced apricots.
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Vegan Creamy Chicken Vegetable Soup (Dairy Free)
For the soup:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 100 g onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 220 g carrots (peeled and diced (approx 1cm cubes), approx 2 carrots)
- 440 g potatoes (peeled and diced (approx 1cm cubes), approx 2 medium potatoes)
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 250 g vegan chicken (diced or shredded)
- 1.5 tbsp chicken seasoning (*see note)
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp black pepper (ground)
- 1 pinch mace
- 100 g peas
- 240 ml dairy free cream
- 2 tsp fresh thyme (finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried))
- 2 tsp fresh parsley (finely chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried))
For the garlic croutons:
- 2 tsp garlic oil
- 2 slices bread (cut into small cubes)
- spray oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
To serve (optional):
- 4 tsp dairy free cream
- 4 pinches fresh thyme
To make the soup:
- In a large saucepan fry the onion and garlic in the coconut oil for 1 minute over a low-medium heat so that it doesn’t brown.1 tbsp coconut oil, 100 g onion, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the diced carrot and potato. Sprinkle over the plain flour and stir to coat the veggies. Fry for a further 2 minutes.220 g carrots, 440 g potatoes, 50 g plain flour
- Add the vegetable stock, vegan chicken, chicken seasoning and spices (nutmeg, turmeric, pepper and mace). Simmer for 30 minutes over a low-medium heat.1 litre vegetable stock, 250 g vegan chicken, 1.5 tbsp chicken seasoning, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1 pinch mace
- Turn the heat down to low, add the peas, cream, thyme and parsley and cook for a further 10 minutes until the mix is hot through. Don’t let it boil.100 g peas, 240 ml dairy free cream, 2 tsp fresh thyme, 2 tsp fresh parsley
To make the garlic croutons:
- Add the garlic oil to a frying pan and heat through. Add your bread cubes and fry for a couple of minutes, without turning, until they are golden on one side.2 tsp garlic oil, 2 slices bread
- Before you turn your croutons over, spray the top of them with a little spray oil and sprinkle half of the garlic salt over the top. Turn the croutons over and sprinkle the other side with the rest of the garlic salt. Fry for another 2 mins until golden on the second side.spray oil, 1 tsp garlic salt
- Check the seasoning of your soup and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Garnish your soup with fresh thyme, a swirl of dairy free cream and a generous handful of garlic croutons.4 tsp dairy free cream, 4 pinches fresh thyme