One of my favourite shop-bought soups is the Tideford Red Lentil, Apricot and Chilli Soup; it’s hearty, wholesome and has a hint of sweetness and spice. It’s absolutely delicious!
With the current pandemic situation, I’m focussing on buying less and making more – not only do fewer trips to the supermarket help from a social distancing point of view, it is also beneficial for my bank balance! I couldn’t bear the thought of being without one of my favourite soups so I decide to create my own version of this flavour-packed vegan lentil soup. It’s an absolute cracker and I hope you love it as much as I do!
This classic red lentil soup is a cracker! It’s
A source of protein
With tingly crushed chillis
With a natural hint of sweetness from diced apricots
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Red Lentil, Apricot And Chilli Soup
- 200 g red lentils (dry)
- 100 g onion (diced)
- 50 g dried apricots (diced)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp fenugreek
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (*see note)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 500 ml hot water
- Add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on medium for around 4 hours (or according to your slow cooker instructions). If you would like to reduce the liquid, leave it to cook for an hour longer with the lid off.200 g red lentils, 100 g onion, 50 g dried apricots, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp celery salt, 1/2 tsp fenugreek, 1/2 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1/4 tsp fennel seeds, 1 litre vegetable stock, 500 ml hot water
- If you would prefer to cook the soup in a saucepan, just add all of the ingredients to the pan and simmer for around 25-30 minutes until the lentils are cooked and it is the desired thickness.
- Add the soup to a blender and blitz for a couple of seconds to smooth it out before serving. Don't skip this step, this soup should be blended.
- Serve with crusty bread and a swirl of coconut cream if you're feeling fancy!