This vegan banana bread is deliciously moist and sumptuous with a rich, spiced sponge that is fully loaded with juicy sultanas, moreish pecans and dark chocolate chunks. It is topped with a nutty pecan crumble and sticky caramelised banana slices.
It’s incredibly easy to make and requires just one bowl and a 24cm loaf pan. To make things even better this recipe is gluten and wheat free but you wouldn’t know it! It also uses coconut oil instead of butter or eggs which gives it the squishiest, loveliest texture.
A decent recipe for banana bread is something every home cook should have in their repertoire. This recipe was tweaked and perfected no less than 15 times to make sure that it had that perfect banana bread flavour and texture so I really hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
This vegan banana bread is absolutely scrumptious! It’s:
Moist and sumptuous inside
Delicately flavoured with cinnamon
Gluten free, egg free, dairy free and vegan
Packed with juicy sultanas, dark chocolate and pecans
With gooey caramelised bananas on top
The most gorgeous toasted nutty pecan crumble topping
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Fully Loaded Banana Bread with a Nutty Pecan Crumble Topping (Gluten Free)
For the Banana Bread:
- 350 g bananas (ripe and spotty (around 3-4 medium sized bananas))
- 150 g coconut sugar
- 110 g coconut oil (melted)
- 50 ml dairy free milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10g)
- 250 g gluten free self raising flour (*see notes)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon (5g)
- ½ tsp salt
- 75 g dairy free dark chocolate (cut into chunks)
- 75 g sultanas
- 50 g pecans (roughly chopped)
- 1 banana (ripe and spotty)
- 20 g coconut sugar
- 20 g pecans (finely chopped)
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan (190°C conventional / 375°F / gas mark 5) and line a 24cm (9") loaf pan** with parchment paper.
- Add the 350g peeled bananas, coconut sugar, melted coconut oil, dairy free milk and vanilla extract to a bowl.350 g bananas, 150 g coconut sugar, 110 g coconut oil, 50 ml dairy free milk, 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mash the bananas with the back of a fork and stir the mixture together. You want to get most of the banana mashed but it doesn’t matter if there are a few lumps.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and salt to the bowl and stir together until combined.250 g gluten free self raising flour, 1 tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt
- Stir in the chocolate chunks, sultanas and 50g pecan pieces and then transfer the mixture to the lined loaf pan.75 g dairy free dark chocolate, 75 g sultanas, 50 g pecans
- Place your banana slices on top of the mixture, insides facing up. Sprinkle the coconut sugar and finely chopped pecans over the top of the mixture.1 banana, 20 g coconut sugar, 20 g pecans
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, usually 55 minutes is about spot on!