A vegan katsu curry-style sauce that’s quick and easy to whip up; making it perfect for busy weeknights or a healthy Saturday night fakeaway. Pour it over a breaded meat free chicken burger on a bed of white rice for a super speedy Japanese-inspired meal with just a hint of chilli kick.
The HB and I love to visit Wagamama and Yo Sushi on our days off and one of our favourite dishes is Katsu Curry. I wanted to re-create those flavours at home and have tried, tested and tweaked this recipe to perfection.
This vegan katsu curry sauce is such a great choice for Meat Free Monday – it is so quick and easy to whip up, or even better make a big batch and freeze it in portions ready to reheat and serve hot over your favourite chicken-style burger. Top it with slices of spring onion, red chilli and sesame seeds if you’re feeling fancy!
This katsu curry sauce is:
Full of flavour
Re-creates the famous katsu curry flavour
And its quick and easy to make
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
Easy Vegan Katsu Curry Sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 100 g onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (finely diced)
- 1.5 tbsp curry powder (medium heat)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- Fry the onion, garlic and ginger in the coconut oil for 3 minutes in a large frying pan.2 tbsp coconut oil, 100 g onion, 1 tbsp fresh garlic, 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and garam masala to the pan, stir together and fry for 2 minutes. Add another tsp of oil or a tbsp of water if the mixture is sticking.1.5 tbsp curry powder, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp garam masala
- Add the stock, lemon juice, soy sauce and sugar to the pan.400 ml vegetable stock, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tsp soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornflour and water. Add to the pan and stir together. Simmer for 3 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.1 tsp cornflour, 2 tbsp water
- Let the curry sauce cool a little and when it is safe to do so, add the curry sauce to a blender and blend until smooth (don’t skip this step!). Alternatively you can use a stick blender.