I like to think of Fatteh as Middle Eastern nachos! Originating from Syria this gorgeous dish is a riot of flavours and colours. My take on this glorious dish consists of toasted pitta bread nachos topped with smokey spiced jackfruit, a drizzle of creamy tahini sauce and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley to create a vegan fatteh.
I serve my Spiced Jackfruit Fatteh with a side of Muhamarra which is a Syrian roasted red pepper dip. It is one of my favourite recipes from the blog – I make it almost every week!
This colourful and flavoursome dish is super quick and easy to make and is full of wholefoods and healthy ingredients.
This gorgeous Spiced Jackfruit vegan Fatteh is:
Light and wholesome
Quick and easy to make
With a creamy tahini sauce
And is served with a sprinkling of fresh and crunchy pomegranate
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Spiced Jackfruit Fatteh (Healthy Middle Eastern Nachos)
- 4 pitta bread (gluten free)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Smokey Spiced Jackfruit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g jackfruit (drained and trimmed weight (*see notes))
- 2 tsp cumin (ground)
- 2 tsp coriander (ground)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp tamari (gluten free)
Creamy Tahini Sauce:
- 125 g coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp garlic (fresh)
- 1.5 tbsp tahini (runny)
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pine nuts (toasted)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (roughly chopped)
- 80 g pomegranate seeds
- 4 tbsp Muhammara Red Pepper Dip (To serve (**see notes))
To make the pitta nachos:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan (200°C conventional / 400°F / gas mark 6).
- Cut the pitta bread into large triangles and split them apart into two. Lay them out flat on a large tray so they are not overlapping (you will likely need two trays).4 pitta bread
- Brush the pitta nachos with olive oil and lightly season with salt and pepper.2 tbsp olive oil
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until crisp. Keep an eye on them as the thinner nachos will be ready sooner than the thicker ones.
To make the spiced jackfruit:
- Add all of the ingredients to a non-stick frying pan and fry for 10 minutes whist you put together the other elements.2 tbsp olive oil, 300 g jackfruit, 2 tsp cumin, 2 tsp coriander, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp tamari
To make the tahini sauce:
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. Alternatively add to a bowl and stir vigorously until smooth.125 g coconut yoghurt, 1 tsp garlic, 1.5 tbsp tahini, 2 tsp lime juice, 1/4 tsp salt
- Add a layer of pitta nachos to two shallow bowls.
- Top with warm spiced jackfruit, a drizzle of tahini sauce and a sprinkling of toasted pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and fresh parsley. Serve with a side of muhammara roasted red pepper dip.2 tbsp pine nuts, 2 tbsp fresh parsley, 80 g pomegranate seeds, 4 tbsp Muhammara Red Pepper Dip