This recipe is for a sweet and sticky vegan Jamaican ginger cake with the perfect amount of warming spice. Paired with a refreshing and tangy vegan passion fruit icing that is perfect for cutting through the sweetness of the cake.
My dad’s side of the family has a bit of a ginger-obsession and whilst I’m still on the fence about spicy crystallised ginger, Jamaican ginger cake is something I have long been a fan of.
Our pantry was never short of a packet or two of sticky, sweet McVities Jamaica Ginger Cake and as I learned to cook, the BBC Good Food Sticky Stem Ginger Cake recipe provided a spot on homemade version that tastes just like the real thing.
Roll forward a few years and now milk and egg free, I decided that creating a vegan version was a must. The BBC recipe works brilliantly with a few vegan subs and is so easy to make. It’s sweet and sticky with the right amount of warming spice. I’ve paired it with a refreshing and tangy vegan passion fruit icing that is perfect for cutting through the sweetness of the cake.
This recipe is my go to for a quick and easy treat to take around when visiting the family. It’s:
With warming spices
And it’s very easy to make!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
Jamaican Ginger Cake with Passion Fruit Icing
For the ginger cake:
- 225 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ginger (dried/ground)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 115 g dairy free margarine
- 115 g treacle
- 115 g golden syrup
- 250 ml dairy free milk
For the passion fruit icing:
- 230 g icing sugar
- 75 g dairy free margarine
- 1 tbsp passion fruit coulis (*see note)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
To make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 160°C fan (180°C conventional / 350°F / gas mark 4).
- Grease a 23cm / 9" loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and spices.225 g self raising flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp ginger, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp mixed spice
- In a saucepan put the margarine, treacle, golden syrup and milk. Warm gently until combined and then add the mixture to the flour mix.115 g dairy free margarine, 115 g treacle, 115 g golden syrup, 250 ml dairy free milk
- Stir well until the mix is smooth (use a large whisk if necessary).
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf pan (it’ll be quite runny) and bake for 55 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning it out.
To make the icing:
- Beat the icing sugar and margarine together until smooth.230 g icing sugar, 75 g dairy free margarine
- Add the coulis and vanilla extract and stir until combined.1 tbsp passion fruit coulis, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Keep the icing in the fridge until you are ready to serve.