Freshly baked fruity vegan scones filled with juicy raisins, slathered in homemade strawberry jam and served with a generous helping of dairy free cream – if that’s not the epitome of a British summer treat I don’t know what is!
These beautifully soft, delicately sweet vegan scones are made with lemonade which gives a delicious flavour and a fantastic rise to this vegan bake. The inspiration for this recipe came from my Ma who serves up the best scones and told me recently that she regularly uses lemonade!
Top these beauties with homemade jam (strawberry goes particularly well with this recipe) and vegan whipped cream for the perfect cream tea. Alternatively try vegan creme fraiche or thick coconut yoghurt.
This afternoon tea classic is easy and so quick to make, with minimal handling and only 10 minutes in the oven to transform them into golden perfection. They’re:
With a hint of lemon
Filled with juicy raisins
Quick and easy to make
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe:
Fruity Lemonade Scones
- 250 g self raising flour
- 85 g dairy free margarine
- 65 g caster sugar
- 65 g sultanas
- 90 ml lemonade (just enough to combine mixture)
- 20 ml dairy free milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C fan (240°C conventional / 475°F / gas mark 9) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl mix together the flour and margarine with your fingers to form a breadcrumb consistency. Then stir in the sugar and sultanas.250 g self raising flour, 85 g dairy free margarine, 65 g caster sugar, 65 g sultanas
- Add just enough lemonade to bring the mixture together into a dough, this should be approximately 75-90ml.90 ml lemonade
- Do not over mix or handle too much, scones need a light touch so bring the dough together just enough to form a ball.
- Lightly flour a surface and transfer your dough onto it. Gently press the dough down to flatten it out until it’s around 2cm thick. You shouldn’t need a rolling pin.
- Cut out 5.5cm rounds using a cookie cutter. Transfer them to the lined baking tray.
- Brush the tops of each scone with dairy free milk and then bake for 9 minutes until golden on top. Transfer to a cooling rack.20 ml dairy free milk
- Serve with jam and vegan cream.