What is a Norwegian Tofu Bowl you may ask? Well to answer a question that has surely been troubling you for much of your life, say hello to your new favourite lunch!
This rather delicious creation is tofu marinated in a tangy ginger and soy sauce dressing, on a bed of quinoa, sweet mango and creamy avocado. This delicious vegan sushi-style lunch bowl is topped with moreish crispy fried onions and can be whipped up in no time at all. It’s perfect for meal prepping and making in bulk.
A ‘Norwegian’ Tofu Bowl was introduced to me in Geneva (yes, I know, go figure) when I has happily frolicking around the most stunning city I’d ever been to (no joke, check out the blog here). After a slight map-reading mishap, we accidentally happened upon a little cafe called Toasted next to the university and not only did they resolve a hunger issue that was swiftly turning in hanger, but they also provided a cracking vegan lunch!
I have no doubt that you will LOVE this recipe – be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make it @aveganvisit 🙂
The Video Recipe :
The Written Recipe :
Norwegian Tofu Bowl With Crispy Fried Onions
For the marinade/dressing:
- 60 ml rice vinegar
- 60 ml soy sauce (gluten free)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 10 g miso (gluten free)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (finely grated)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
For the crispy fried onions:
- 1 small onion (sliced)
- 100 ml aquafaba (the liquid from a tin of chickpeas)
- 100 g plain flour (gluten free)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper (freshly ground)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 280 g firm tofu
- 100 g quinoa
- 1 mango (ripe)
- 1 large avocado (ripe)
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Add all of the marinade ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed.60 ml rice vinegar, 60 ml soy sauce, 2 tsp maple syrup, 10 g miso, 1 tsp fresh ginger, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Chop the tofu into small cubes (approx 1-2cm cubed), spread out in a dish and pour over the marinade. Leave for around 15 minutes whilst you prep the other parts of the bowl, stirring half way through.280 g firm tofu
- Rinse the quinoa and simmer in boiling water for 15 minutes until cooked.100 g quinoa
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking, prep the onions. Mix together the flour, salt and pepper and put in a dish. Place the aquafaba in a separate dish.100 g plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 100 ml aquafaba
- Dip the onion slices first in the aquafaba and then in the flour mix, fully coating them before setting them aside.1 small onion
- Turn on your deep fat fryer or put a saucepan on the hob with around 2 inches of vegetable oil in to heat up.vegetable oil
- Using a slotted metal spoon, carefully place the prepped onions in the hot oil and fry for around 5 minutes until golden. You may like to do this in batches.
- Once fried, place the onions on some kitchen towel or a napkin to soak up some of the oil.
- Dish up by placing quinoa, mango and avocado in your serving bowls. Add the tofu and then drizzle the remaining marinade over the quinoa. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and enjoy!1 mango, 1 large avocado, 2 tsp sesame seeds