Our mouthwatering 5 Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread is made with simple ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to prep. It’s beautifully tender, sweet and moreish – the perfect easy treat for the family!
Welcome back to A Vegan Visit, where we explore the world of vegan cuisine, one delicious dish at a time.
Our newest creation, ‘5 Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread,’ is already a firm favourite here at AVV and we’re so excited for you to try it. You can’t beat the aroma of banana bread baking in the oven, it’s absolutely heavenly, and this recipe is SO SIMPLE!
We created this banana bread with one main goal – specifically to make it as simple and delicious as possible. And we’ve done it! You need just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time to create this beauty (seriously – watch our real time ‘bake with me’ video if you don’t believe us!). Once baked the result is an impossibly moist, sweet and moreish cake, with that hard-to-beat flavour that you get from caramelised banana.
This vegan banana bread recipe will become a go-to in your kitchen; it’s the perfect treat to bake on a Sunday afternoon to share with all the family!
- The written recipe
- The video recipe
- Why you’ll love this recipe
- Recipe tips and FAQs
- Other incredible recipes like this one
What is banana bread and where does it originate?
Banana bread is believed to originate from the United States during the Great Depression and has since evolved to be a beloved classic, enjoyed worldwide.
Banana bread is a moist, sweet and cake-like loaf that uses overripe bananas, thus avoiding food waste. It’s a cake that undeniably captures the essence of comfort food.
Banana bread can be enjoyed as a breakfast, snack or dessert and is wonderful when kept simple and rustic, like this recipe. Alternatively you can enhance it with additions such as nuts, chocolate chips and cinnamon, like in this version.
Why you’ll love this 5 Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread
- 5 Simple Ingredients. You can whip up this delicious treat with just 5 readily available ingredients – bananas, sugar, coconut oil, dairy free milk and last but not least, self raising flour.
- It’s Beautifully Light Texture. This banana bread is tender, light and fluffy thanks to the perfect ratio of ingredients. Coconut oil is beautiful to bake with because it produces an impossibly moist bake that is hard to resist.
- No Eggs or Egg Substitutes Needed. This banana bread is completely egg free, instead relying on mashed banana to bind the ingredients into a loaf that can be easily sliced once cooled.
- Simple Plant Based Goodness. This recipe is simple enough for even a beginner baker. So, if you’re new to a plant based lifestyle, this is an excellent first bake with just 5 simple ingredients. This one-bowl banana bread recipe uses just one mixing bowl, one spoon and one baking tin (so there’s less washing up to do!).
Top tips for making vegan banana bread
- Ripe Spotty Bananas. Use overripe bananas with a skin speckled with brown dots for the best flavour. Ripe bananas are sweeter, easier to mash and they will also produce a more flavoursome banana bread.
- Room Temperature Ingredients. Make sure your dairy-free milk and coconut oil are at room temperature. Adding cold milk to liquid coconut oil can cause the coconut oil to solidify, making it difficult to mix.
- Mix Gently. Avoid over-mixing or beating the cake batter as this can result in a cake with a dense texture. Once all of the ingredients are in the bowl, stir just enough to combine the ingredients so that no pockets of dry flour are visible within the mixture.
- Variations. You can get creative with add-ins such as chopped nuts, vegan chocolate chips, or dried fruit. Add around 75g of your chosen addition, or head to our Fully Loaded Vegan Banana Bread recipe for a banana bread that is jam-packed with all of the extras (and is gluten free too!).
- Serving and Storage. This 5 ingredient vegan banana bread is at its most scrumptious freshly baked but it is still great for a couple days after baking (try toasting it and serving it with plant based butter for extra yumminess!). Store it at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Alternatively you can also freeze it by slicing it, wrapping the slices in parchment and storing them in a bag or airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I make this banana bread gluten-free?
We have not specifically tested this recipe with gluten free self raising flour, however we do have a gluten free Fully Loaded Vegan Banana Bread recipe which is an absolute must try!
How can I tell if the banana bread is baked?
Insert a knife or toothpick into the centre of the loaf and if it comes out clean, your banana bread is ready. However if you see some wet batter on the knife, bake for a few more minutes before testing again.
Can I add other fruits to this recipe?
Absolutely! Banana bread also pairs well with additions such as dried raisins or fresh blueberries for a fruity twist.
What size loaf pan should I use?
We recommend using a 2lb loaf tin (approx 21cm long x 11cm wide x 7cm high / 8” x 4” x 3”) for this recipe. Like this one from Amazon.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a small commission off of items you purchase via one of these links, at no additional cost to you. Please read the policy page for more information.
Loved this Easy Vegan Banana Bread? Here are some more delicious vegan sweet treats to try
I hope you LOVE this recipe for Easy Vegan Banana Bread! Please share this recipe with someone you think will love it because it’s our goal to encourage as many people as possible to try plant based eating.
Also, don’t forget to tag @aveganvisit on social media when you try the recipe – I absolutely love seeing your re-creations! Enjoy 🙂 x
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and star rating below – this provides helpful feedback to both me and other readers. If you want more delicious vegan recipes be sure to subscribe to the A Vegan Visit newsletter. Come and join the AVV community on Youtube, Tiktok, Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook!
The Video Recipe:
The Written Recipe:
5 Ingredient Vegan Banana Bread
- 350 g ripe spotty bananas (approximately 3 bananas, or 1.5 cups of mashed banana)
- 140 g soft light brown sugar
- 110 g coconut oil (melted and cooled to room temperature)
- 50 g dairy free milk (at room temperature*)
- 250 g self raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan oven (190°C conventional / 375°F / gas mark 5).
- Line a 2lb loaf tin (approx 23cm long x 11cm wide x 7cm high / 8” x 4” x 3”) with parchment paper.
- Peel the bananas and add them to a large bowl. Mash them throughly using the back of a fork.350 g ripe spotty bananas
- Add the sugar, coconut oil and milk to the bowl with the mashed bananas and mix everything together.140 g soft light brown sugar, 110 g coconut oil, 50 g dairy free milk
- Add the flour and stir together until just combined.250 g self raising flour
- Pour the mixture into the lined cake tin and bake for approximately 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.